PB Leiner is one of the world’s leading producers of high quality gelatins and collagen peptides. It has a global presence in terms of both its plants and sales representatives. PB Leiner’s objective is to recognize and explore opportunities for its customers and to anticipate future trends. In this regard, PB Leiner was the world’s first gelatin producer to market multifunctional gelatin products. PB Leiner supplies a continuously growing market in food, pharma, health nutrition and technical applications. PB Leiner has approximately 1,200 collaborators throughout the world and is part of Tessenderlo Group.
Ensuring Environmental requirements
- Follow up different emission sources in the plant and their environmental compliance, advise managers on risks for infringements and assist on searching solutions in order to meet environmental requirements.
- Follow up and report waste streams to authorities after approval by Plant Director.
- Follow up water effluents, gas/air emissions and advise Production Manager
- Follow up odor emissions and Investigate deviations with feedback to Plant Director and Production Managers, define actions and monitory the status.
- Responsible to ensure sludge disposal at lowest cost according to legal requirements and best practices
- Advise on regulatory affairs
- Technical SPOC with environment authorities
Obtain and maintain updates legal permits
- Responsible for obtaining and follow up of legal permits, including defining preventive and corrective actions with the managers involved in order to comply with legal requirements.
- Responsible to keep the permits available and updated.
- Responsible to ensure positive relationships with certifying authorities
- Advises on measures to comply with regulatory specifications
Environmental Incidents handling
- Responsible for handling complaints, incidents and accidents involving environment issues and assist on defining corrective actions in order to ensure that the plant is acting in with responsible care towards all stakeholders.
- Reporting violations on environmental issues to authorities
- Initiate appropriate actions in case of incidents or accidents on environment and investigate and report the analysis and the action plans.
- Follow up different actions coming from internal & external audits, government/official audits, etc.
- Act in emergency response teams and advice the management about the most appropriate decisions in environmental emergency situations
Water, Waste Water, Off site Services
- Responsible for the operation of the water plant, waste water treatment plant and off site services for the production of Gelatin in order to reach the requested quality for water and services and accomplish with regulations applicable to discharged effluents.
- Advices on budgeting for water treatment, waste water plant and off site services.
- Ensure that regulatory inspections and maintenance shutdowns are executed according the schedule.
Process Optimization & Control
- Responsible for the monitoring and control of the assigned processes with the aim to avoid deviations and keep the processes in compliance with regulations. This includes the following processes / activities:
- Responsible for the daily process follow up,
- Responsible for investigating process deviations, identification of root causes and implementation of corrective actions defined.
- Advices for process and equipment improvements
- Advices on investment needs
Managing the environmental department
- Manages the environmental procedures, KPI’s and reports accordingly in order to contribute to the site’s goals and objectives
- Optimize existing and create new procedures of the Environment management system and make them available for all employees
- Provide training for all management levels (and their replacements) regarding the environment management system
Safety, environment and quality system
- Responsible for the implementation of health, safety, environmental and quality policy within the assigned areas in order to provide optimal operations conditions for the department and to make sure the department stays operational.
- Responsible for applying and monitoring of Food safety / GMP, ISO and HSE systems within the assigned areas in order to comply with internal, local and federal regulations & legal requirements.
- Responsible for the development of a safe working environment through procedures, training and technical modifications
- Responsible for the correct traceability of products and consumables downstream and upstream
- Responsible for maintaining the PSM, RMP and ATEX programs.
- Assist in maintaining the ISO 14001 program.
Advise on training employees
- Advice the necessary trainings for employees considering as inputs environmental KPI’s, previous incidents/accidents, procedures, etc . in order to set training plan for the company.
- Propose the necessary environmental training for the employees and third parties in order to define the training program of the company
- Provide initial environmental introduction for all new employees
- In case of new or modified equipment and a new function of an employee work together with the involved department in order to provide the training
- Experience with and understanding of environmental regulations (CAA, CWA, RCRA, EPCRA, SWPPP, SPCC, DOT)
- Knowledge of Process Safety management (a legally required safety program for our ammonia system for regulatory compliance)
- Knowledge of food processing
- Computer skills: being able to work with modern data processing software such as Microsoft Excel, plant information databases, etc.
- Must be analytical with problem-solving capabilities, interpersonal skills, and the ability to function independently and interdependently in a team environment
- Must have strong organizational skills and the ability to multi-task, prioritize, and work efficiently
- Must be open to change and willing to learn new skills as the opportunities arise
- Must have strong communication and presentation skills
- Strong data and problem-solving skills
This position prefers a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Environmental Science, or science-related with 3 to 5 years of experience.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
- Experience level
- Mid-Senior Level
- PB Leiner
- Business unit
- PB Leiner
- United States