Why collagen is a must-have ingredient?
Collagen’s health benefits have been known for centuries, but only in 1970s, collagen started gaining mainstream appeal, reaching different consumer groups. (1)
30 years after, collagen peptides are experiencing growth globally – what are some of the key drivers supporting its growth and why collagen can be a value-added ingredient for your products?
The collagen peptides market keeps growing
According to an analysis conducted by research firm Frost & Sullivan in collaboration with PB Leiner, the market for collagen peptides – is already growing at about 7-8% a year (CAGR, 2020-2024). However, sales are still a long way from their peak.
With vast untapped potential to expand into new markets, applications, and products, Frost & Sullivan expects momentum to accelerate and growth to reach new heights.
The growth is clearly reflected in more and more collagen product launches in various product categories
According to Innova Market Insights, the growth rate of new product launches containing collagen peptides have grown annually by over 25% over the past 10 years, in a multitude of concepts and categories.
As the consumer awareness of this ingredient increase, collagen is no longer merely a niche ingredient, it is now added to beverages and multi-functional supplements.
Health & wellness consumer trends: sports nutrition, protein trends, paleo, keto, gut health
As a natural ingredient, high in protein content, collagen can be easily integrated in any health and wellness trends:
- Collagen, as a source of protein free from fat, is a popular ingredient in sports nutrition
- Collagen is a protein that doesn’t contain any carbs, and perfectly fits the ketogenic diet beloved by so many celebrities
- Collagen can help make fasting cycles in intermittent fasting easier thanks to its long-lasting satiety effect
- Collagen is a highly digestible protein, perfect for incorporation in gut health products
- Collagen is seen as a critical component that people have been omitting from their diets due to changes in eating habits, and a perfect addition to the paleo diet.
Consumers of all ages are concerned for bone and joint health
Aging population is the fastest growing consumer group, with increasing number of people wanting to stay active for longer and looking into supplements supporting their mobility, bone and joint health. Some of the categories that have been driving new product development in “aging well” are energy/alertness, bone & joint health and beauty from within.
At the same time, younger populations are seeking prevention instead of treatment, so products that support mobility and at the same time bone and joint health are increasingly popular among a wide range of active consumers - from professional athletes to “weekend warriors”, i.e. people who practice sporting activities only occasionally.
Products that target bone and joint issues typically feature collagen due to its positive impact on bone strength and density. (2)
Natural and clean labels are increasingly important for consumers
The quest for clean and natural products has been increasingly important in the recent years – the consumers are reading product labels and looking into ingredients list. Consumers are paying more attention to what goes into their food, seeking natural and healthy ingredients.
SOLUGEL® collagen peptides are the ideal ingredient choice for your healthy, clean and natural formulations as SOLUGEL® is:
- Pure protein
- Highly digestible
- Natural and (c)lean label (no E-numbers)
- Free from sugar, fat, cholesterol and carbohydrates
- Free from additives and preservatives
- Free from artificial colors, flavors and sweeteners
- Gluten free
Collagen has numerous health benefits
Numerous scientific publications have shown that collagen can support skin and bone and joint health, and it is an ideal ingredient to use in sports nutrition formulations:
- Bone and joint health - supports bone and joint health while maintaining bone mineral density
- Excellent addition to sports nutrition formulations – helps fight physical fatigue, boosts muscle recovery, while supporting bones and joints
- Skin health - increases skin’s hydration, elasticity and firmness
- Weight management –Promotes satiety effect at the same time supporting healthy weight management
1 GME: COLLAGEN PEPTIDES – YESTERDAY, TODAY AND TOMORROW
2. Information about the scientific studies supporting these claims are available upon request (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Collagen peptides are easy to integrate in food, beverages and supplements
Collagen peptides are easy to integrate and can provide additional health benefits in beverages, powder blends, nutritional bars, confectionery, dairy products, tablets, capsules, cosmetic products etc.